Tips on How to Get A Canadian Student Visa Approved

Have you been given provisional admission to one of our academic institutions in Canada? If so, don’t worry because on this page we’ll walk you through the actions you need to complete to guarantee your student visa is approved.

If your course or program lasts six months or less, you do not require a Canadian study visa. Nonetheless, applying for a permission before coming to Canada may be a smart idea – otherwise, if you decide to continue your studies in another program, you’ll have to leave Canada to apply for a study permit through a visa office.

If you already have a Canadian study permit, you can renew it from within Canada if you want to continue your studies. A study permit permits full-time students enrolled in a recognized higher education institution to work part-time on campus.

You may also be able to work off-campus, as a co-op or intern as part of your degree, as a permanent resident in Canada, or after you graduate.


In most cases, you must apply for a study permit before coming to Canada. Some Canadians are eligible to apply for a study permit. In some situations, you can apply at the port of entry when you arrive in Canada. Make certain that you are aware of the options open to you.

Applying for a Study Permit in Canada
You can apply for a Canadian study permit online or via paper application, both of which are available on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website. Paper applications often take twice as long, and it’s always a good idea to double-check the processing timeframes ahead of time.

You’ll need a credit/debit card and the capacity to produce electronic copies of your supporting papers to apply online (i.e. using a scanner or camera). The visa office in your nation will provide you precise instructions on the papers you need to produce; this might vary depending on where you are. If you want assistance, you can seek it at your local visa application facility (VAC).

The following is the procedure for acquiring a Canadian student visa:

To begin, you must get a standardized acceptance letter from a recognized higher education source. Students studying in Quebec must additionally apply to the Quebec government for a certificate of admission, known as a CAQ. This must be obtained before you may apply for a study permit. This is available online, by printing a form, or by obtaining a paper form from your university, which will also give advise on the topic.
The next step is to obtain a Canadian student visa application package, which may be obtained via the CIC website or by contacting your local visa office, as well as the Canadian embassy or consulate in your home country. If you are from a specified nation, you may also need to get a temporary residency permit (find out if you do here), but this will not complicate matters too much because it will be handled at the same time as your study permit application.
To obtain your application package, you must first answer a few questions about yourself on the CIC website. These questions will decide if you are eligible to apply for a Canadian student permit online and what papers you will need to furnish.
If you are deemed to be qualified, you will be given a personal checklist code that is valid for 60 days and will be required to submit your application online. Make a copy of the page that contains your code for future reference. The page will also provide an application guide, an estimate of your tuition expenses, a list of papers you must send with your application, and instructions for your next steps.
When you’re ready to apply, set up a MyCIC account and input your personal checklist code. After that, you will obtain your unique document checklist, which will allow you to upload and transmit your papers to CIC. To achieve this, you’ll need a printer or a scanner.
You can submit your entire application to CIC after you have all of your documentation and application form ready and have paid your costs.
Some candidates may be required to attend an interview at their nearest visa office.
Additional criteria for Canadian student visa
Some or all of the extra Canadian student visa criteria listed below may also apply:

Biometrics may be required for applicants from Europe, the Middle East, or Africa (photograph and fingerprints).
Some applicants may additionally be required to undergo a medical examination and/or a police background check before submitting their application. If you have a criminal past, you will not be allowed to get a study permit; you may be required to present a Police Clearance Certificate as proof.
Unless you are from the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon, you will need to show that you have a valid passport that permits you to return to your home country when your course is completed. Two passport-sized photos with your name and date of birth inscribed on the reverse are also necessary.
Proof of finances to sustain oneself is also required for a Canadian student visa. This is now assessed to be CA$10,000 (US$7,650) for each year of your stay (CA$11,000/US$8,400 if seeking to study in Quebec) in addition to your tuition expenses. You must also ensure that you have enough money to pay for transportation back home.
You can provide any of the following documents to prove you have this money: bank statements, evidence of a Canadian account in your name if the money has been transferred, a bank draft in a convertible currency, proof of payment of tuition and accommodation fees, a letter from a person or institution providing you with money, or proof of funding paid from within Canada if you have a scholarship or are enrolled in a Canadian-funded program.

Applying through the Student Direct Stream Canada recently created the Student Direct Stream, which allows students from China, India, the Philippines, or Vietnam to apply for a study visa more quickly.

The qualifications are comparable to those for a standard study permit, with the exception of higher language requirements: an IELTS score of at least 6, or a 7 in the Niveaux de Compétence Linguistique Canadiens for French, or graduation from a Canadian-curriculum high school.

If you do not satisfy the requirements for the Student Direct Stream but do meet the requirements for the normal study permit, your application will be considered for the regular study permit option and you will not be processed more quickly.

Following the application, the following actions must be taken.
If your Canadian student visa application is granted, you will be given a Port of Entry (POE) Letter of Introduction, while students from countries that require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) and/or a temporary residence visa will be given these if necessary.

The eTA will be associated with your passport. It is critical that you travel using the passport that you used to apply for your study permit. The eTA will be valid for five years or until the expiration of your passport, whichever comes first.

Present these, together with your passport, evidence of funds, and letter of acceptance (along with any additional papers recommended), to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) in Canada, who will then issue your Canadian study permit and enable you to enter the country.

Working while studying in Canada
If you want to work part-time while studying in Canada, you may now work on or off-campus for up to 20 hours during university semesters and full-time during breaks such as the winter or summer holidays without needing a work visa.

To be eligible, you must:

You must have a valid study permission.
You must be a full-time student.
Be enrolled in a post-secondary recognized learning institution or, in Quebec, a secondary vocational program
Be enrolled in a six-month academic, vocational, or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma, or certificate.
To work in Canada or obtain benefits and services from government programs, you will also need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) from Service Canada.

Your study permit will expire 90 days after you finish your degree, so you’ll need to get a post-graduation work permit if you wish to stay in Canada after finishing your studies and looking for work. This is good for a period of three years.